Wednesday 21 August 2013

My Love For Newsies

“They delivered the papers, until they made the headlines…’


Newsies is one of the hottest musicals on Broadway at the moment. Newsies the musical made its Broadway debut in 2012 at the Nederlander theatre, and is soon to find a home on the West End (which I can't wait for!)

Newsies the musical is based on the 1992 film, Newsies, which is about the real-life Newsboys strike in 1899.

The soundtrack for Newsies has to be one of my favourite at the moment! The inspiring story matches so well with the powerful music and lyrics. Songs like ‘The World Will Know’ have left me walking home from school as if I were part of the strike! Only having to snap back out of it and coming back to reality.

Then there are the beautiful love songs of Jack Kelly and Katherine Plumber. ‘Something to Believe In’ is my favourite song on the whole soundtrack. Kara Lindsay, (Katherine) who has the voice of an angel, never fails to give me goose bumps! And then there is Jeremy Jordan (Jack-who is now played by Corey Cott) who has such a beautiful voice!

And that is just talking about the music!!! The dancing in this musical has to be one of the best on Broadway! These talented young men inspire me so much, as a dancer myself! With people like Ryan Steele (Specs), of course you are going to have fantastic dance numbers! There is also the main tap number at the beginning of act 2, King of New York, which I find fascinating. Tap has to be one of favourite genres of dance, so when I see it done on such a huge scale with so many talented dancers, it leaves me speechless! And this is just from the different youtube videos I have seen, I cant imagine what it must be like to see it live.

The dancing genius of Ryan Steele
This isn’t a review as much, it is more of a way I can express my love for this musical, and to share my excitement of it soon to be moving to the West End (in 2014).


I would love to hear about your opinions of Newsies, if you’ve seen it, or if like me, you are excited to see it when it comes to the West End. I know I will be seeing it as soon as it comes over here! Please comment below.

Thanks for reading!


-Lois x

No comments:

Post a Comment