Monday 26 August 2013

Matilda

For my birthday I received tickets to go see Matilda the musical with my best friend, Isabel. It was an amazing performance which is suitable for anyone at any age.

outside the cambridge theatre

Matilda the musical is based on the very popular children's book, Matilda, by Roald Dahl. It is about an extraordinary young girl who has a rough childhood. She is neglected by her parents and is also mistreated. But she finds a comfort in reading very complex books for her age, she spends more time in the library reading books and telling stories than she does at home. Matilda then reaches the age where she starts school. Here, she meets her teacher, Miss Honey, who is fascinated with Matilda's knowledge in maths and literature. However, not everyone is as nice as Miss Honey. There are people like Miss Trunchball who's aim is to make everyone's lives miserable. Miss Honey and Matilda build a strong friendship and help each other with their tough memories. Along the way, Matilda discovers that she can do things that other children cannot. Unlike other musicals, Matilda teaches one lesson that I believe should be taught more; not everyone has a happy ending. In my opinion I think that as children we are showed that happy endings are inevitable, which is not always the case.

I have to start with the children! These young performers where truly astounding. They had so much energy which made me want to get up and dance with them! They were set from the word go. It was if they were hyped up on sugar because 2 hours and 40 minutes later, they were still full of beans! The Matilda we saw was Lara Wollington and she was amazing, I was in awe of her talent! I was jealous of all of the children's confidence and of them! I wanted to be up on that stage jumping on desks with them! But unfortunately, I am a bit too big for that!

The choreography mesmerized me, it was very unique and something I had never seen before. I loved watching the adults acting as older children, this makes a very fun atmosphere. The choreography was very energetic which is why I don't understand how the children manage it for that amount of time, I don't think I would have survived 5 minutes!

As well as the choreography, the music was phenomonal. The lyrics were so cleverly written which told the story so well. Tim Minchin has done an amazing job in transforming the book and film we all know and love so much into one big song!

The performance was absolutely incredible and I enjoyed it so much. Even though I already had the soundtrack, it still felt new and exciting!

When walking into the theatre, the stage and the sets can draw you in or put you off the whole show just by one look. In this case, after stepping into the theatre I knew I was going to enjoy it. The whole stage is covered in letters and it really sets the mood for the show, very cleverly done!


the stage

I couldn't leave out writing about my favourite parts. One of my favourite parts is the school song. This is done so well and looks so effective! The use of the school gates, the alphabet blocks and lighting makes this scene so fun to watch. Also the lyrics are so so clever, the use of the alphabet hidden in the lyrics is just pure genius! Also my other favourite scene is Revolting Children. This song is so powerful and finished the whole performance brilliantly. The choreography for this is so dynamic and works so well! It left me with goosebumps!

I highly recommend Matilda to absolutely everyone! There was a little girl sitting next to me and she must have been 3 or 4 and she was enjoying it so much, the look on her face was priceless. 

Thank you for reading, please comment what you want me to write about or what you thought about this review.

-Lois x

No comments:

Post a Comment