Monday 19 August 2013

Les Miserables Review

As this is my first review it just feels like it should be a review of my favourite thing ever, Les Mis! I saw les mis on Wednesday 24th July. My mum and I went as a joint birthday present, and it was the best birthday present I have ever received!

Les Miserables is a musical based on the novel written by the genius we know as Victor Hugo. It shows the story of a man, Jean Valjean, who struggled as a convict during the French Revolution. Just as he thinks that his life will be a misery forever he sees a light of hope which helps turn his life around, although he is still being chased by Inspector Javert. The story of les mis then develops through the time of the June Rebellion where a group of young revolutionaries attempt to overthrow the throne. Les Miserables is a story about love, passion, dreams, hope and so much more.

Thanks to Cameron Mackintosh, Alain Boublil and Claud-Michel SchÓ§nberg we have Les Miserables, the musical phenomenon, which is the longest running musical and I had the privilege in seeing it!

When I arrived at the Queens Theatre in London I was totally overwhelmed with emotion as I knew that it would be a performance I would never forget. I remember every little detail so vividly!

The performance I watched had an understudy for the main role, Jean Valjean, and I could not tell this one bit! Daniel Koek performed as if he was the man who had gone through this extraordinary story, he was so convincing with a strong vocal  performance. The whole cast were extremely talented, however there was one person who stood out for me. Carrie Hope Fletcher. Carrie played Eponine Thenardier and she played the role very convincingly! Her voice was truly outstanding and I could see the pain of her character in everything she did! She moved me to tears many times, especially her death! She left me blubbering like a baby! Hats off to Carrie! As well as that, Enjolras (Anton Zetterholm) was extremely talented and also very well cast!

There were many things that did intrigue me which were to do with the sets. For example, Javert's suicide was very cleverly done! Before watching this part I was wondering how it would be done in a theatre, where you don' have as much freedom as a film. But the use of prop, lighting and the actor's reaction made it look very real! Also how the streets of France quickly turned into a barricade fascinated me, it must have taken a lot of time and a lot of brains to think of a seamless transition like that!

The ensemble (and even the main cast) often have to multi role but this is nearly impossible to see because of the different costumes that they wear, the difference between being a factory girl and a lovely lady was huge so they looked like different people in general. One scene that I loved, in particular, was Lovely Ladies. This scene was set with the 'Lovely Ladies' in the middle of the rotating stage. The lighting on them lit up their colourful costumes and made it a very bright scene, which is very different in comparison to the other scenes which are normally rather dark.

I went to theatre expecting to shed a few tears, similarly to the film, however the emotions and overwhelming atmosphere got the better of me and left me close to a meltdown. I would say I was in tears throughout the majority of the second half. I never understand when someone complains about les mis because it was 'too sad' or 'so depressing' because when you translate Les Miserables to English, it is 'the miserable'. Therefore, your opinion is invalid!

When it comes to standing ovations, I normally find them cheesy and cringey but it felt wrong to not stand up to show my appreciation, like the rest of the audience 

The Queens Theatre is truly beautiful with a stunning chandelier and gorgeous art. However, one negative of the theatre is that where I was sitting, in the dress circle, I had to lean forward to see the front of the stage. But this is hardly a problem because the performers are hardly ever right at the front of the stage.

There are two performances of les mis, the matinee at 2:30 and the evening performance at 7:30. The tickets price at £70 (roughly) and it is worth every penny! 

I would highly recommend you to go see les miserables if you haven't already, and if you have then why not go again? Because I think (no, I know) that I will be going to see it again! But again, remember to bring your tissues!

I would have to give Les Miserables a 5/5 

Here are some pictures of the theatre;




Thanks for reading :) please leave any comments, constructive criticism or anything else below!

-Lois x


No comments:

Post a Comment